CORRELATION OF BLOOD GLUCOSE LEVELS WITH DYSLIPIDEMIA AMONG PATIENTS WITH TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS

Main Article Content

Saleem Iqbal
Muhammad Yousaf
Laraib Asad
Muhammad Darwaish Iqbal
Noor Ul Iman

Abstract

ABSTRACT


Objectives


This study is aimed to find out the correlation of blood glucose with serum triglycerides and cholesterol levels in patients with T2DM.


Material and methods


This cross sectional descriptive study was conducted from august to october 2019 in general medical outpatient department of khyber teaching hospital Peshawar, that is a 1600 bedded tertiary care hospital in Khyberpakhtunkhwa, a province of Pakistan. Patients with T2DM were categorized into two groups. Group A with HbA1c from 6.5-8% and group B with HbA1c of more than 8%. Serum cholesterol and serum triglycerides were correlated in these groups with the level of HbA1c. Data was collected through a specially designed proforma and was analyzed through statistical package for social sciences, SPSS version 23 where chi-square test was applied to find out the relationship between the 2 groups and p-value of 0.05 or less was considered significant for correlation.


Results


Amongst 319 patients with T2DM, 220 (68.96%) were females and the rest of 99 (31.04%) were males. Serum cholesterol was raised in 106(33.22%) patients with T2DM.It was raised in 35.16% of patients in group A and in 32.45% in group B (p-value:0.6). Serum triglycerides level was raised in 22.25% of patients with T2DM (with 23.07%in group A and in 21.92% of patients in group B) with a p-value of 0.8.


Conclusions


The levels of serum cholesterol and serum triglycerides were not having any significant correlation with the levels of glycosylated hemoglobin(and hence diabetic control) in our patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.

Article Details

How to Cite
IqbalS., YousafM., AsadL., IqbalM., & ImanN. (2020). CORRELATION OF BLOOD GLUCOSE LEVELS WITH DYSLIPIDEMIA AMONG PATIENTS WITH TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS. Journal Of Medical Sciences, 28(3), 270-273. Retrieved from https://jmedsci.com/index.php/Jmedsci/article/view/835
Section
Articles